EMC Compliance Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Malmesbury, UK, United Kingdom
The role is within the EMC Compliance team, which is integral part of the wider Global Compliance team responsible for the robust and consistent implementation of product compliance plans targeting the global market. We look for a motivated and passionate team player, who is able to operate in a deliverables-driven team, demonstrating firm commitment at giving an essential contribution to the marketing of the ever growing and diversified range of Dyson products.
The EMC Compliance Engineer is responsible for the thorough identification and definition of the compliance requirements applicable to Dyson products in terms of EMC. The role includes advice given to design Teams in order to support the design for compliance approach, manage the relevant validation activities in the test lab and feedback compliance status/risks to the business. Key validation activities include the preparation and enforcement of the certification plan aiming at obtaining EMC approval of Dyson products for all target markets within the required deadlines. Initially the role will focus on all floorcare categories but will expand coverage to all product categories
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with over 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. In 2017 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewFor a Dyson engineer, breaking the rules is part of the job. It’s what makes our products different. But the next great Dyson idea can’t change the world from a lab. To ensure our machines can be sold, there are some rules we need to stick to. From reviewing initial concepts to testing final components in our accredited test laboratories, our Compliance and Approvals team is a critical voice during the design phase. By making sure Dyson product are never kept off the shelf by global standards and legislation, we play vital role in supporting the growth of Dyson.
A crucial quality shall be the capability of offering reliable and high standard support in an environment where compliance requirements coexist with multiple aspects of design, engineering, cost and marketing. Other key responsibilities are:
• Ensure that the relevant EMC standards and legislations for the global market are fully captured in the BOS and communicated to the business using the appropriate tools
• Interpret standards and legislations for a correct application to Dyson products
• Effectively manage the expectations of the Dyson Teams, providing clear-cut guidance and certainty on the relevant aspects of EMC Approval in order to enforce and maintain a ‘design for compliance’ approach
• Work closely with internal departments and external certification bodies to deliver third party certifications using effective planning and reporting tools
• Identify and manage compliance risks in the most appropriate manner and according to the business expectations
• Degree or equivalent in an Engineering or Electronics/Telecommunications related subject
• Minimum 3 years’ experience on a broad range of EMC related activities, including working with third party organisations and managing technical data files
• Proven experience at initiating, conducting and completing the EMC certification of commercial products, including the ability of managing the associated administrative aspects
• Good knowledge of the technical requirements specified by the major EMC technical standards and ability to prepare test reports
• Ability to perform testing according to the relevant test methods and procedures
• Detailed and methodical approach to prepare test plans
• Good and detailed reporting skills
• Ability to handle a broad and complex workload
• Good organisational and record keeping skills
• Confident and persuasive communication skills
• Application of the above essential requirements to consumer products, appliances or similar high volume manufacturing environments
• Familiar at operating within a Quality controlled environment
• Electronics engineering knowledge
• Being able to identify the true cause of problems and to apply the required analytical skills in order to solve them efficiently