Malmesbury, United Kingdom
The Design Manager is one of the most integral roles within the Dyson process owning projects and driving the design to design products of the future. You will be able to demonstrate broad engineering knowledge, combined with highly effective influencing and communications skills that support a proven track record of bringing products to the market.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
Function OverviewOur Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
- Ensure the successful development and delivery of projects at product level
- Ensure the safety and reliability of all Dyson products
- Integrate multiple work streams to ensure overall project success
- Ensure clarity of direction across all relevant areas
- Ensure stakeholders are kept updated on progress, risks and issues in a timely and appropriate way
- Manages the budget and balances the objective of delivering the best quality product whilst meeting time, cost and quality targets • Encourages collaboration and operating with a “One Dyson” mindset
- Ensure project is set up with right KPIs, detailed project plan, tracking mechanisms and escalation routes identified and understood by all
- Ensure all documentation is clear and accurately maintained
- Drive continuous improvement across RDD through leading formalised lessons learnt review
- Recognise when a project is unlikely to achieve the required scope and make an evidence based recommendation for project termination to Head of Category when relevant
- Works seamlessly with RDD teams to ensure a collaborative approach is applied to the delivery of the project(s)
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of category
- Successful track record of robust delivery of products & assemblies
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively with cross functional teams and other business functions
- Understanding of project management principles and effective at longer term planning
- Ability to operate within a level of ambiguity
- Strong leadership with ability to influence and motivate others to achieve outstanding results
- Able to operate at a strategic level whilst able to resolve more detailed/technical issues as required
- Demonstrates good stakeholder engagement, comfortable at interacting at all levels within the organisation
- Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to product development with a business focus