Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionDyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Design Engineer in the Motors and Power Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
Market OverviewAt Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Function OverviewDyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the release of the 360 Eye robotic vacuum cleaner and recent investments in Sakti3 solid state battery technology. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward.
Reporting to Design & Integration Team Manager, you will join a growing team of design engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group focussing on a diverse range of exciting products and next generation high speed motors demonstrating new core technology and a complete system design approach.
The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to integrating mechanical, aerodynamic and electromagnetic concepts while considering the impact on performance and keeping costs for high volume manufacture and assembly to a minimum.
You will deliver design solutions that:
- Stretch the boundaries of speed, power density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications
- Demonstrate a complete system approach to product layout considering discipline and product requirements meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project
- Are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods
- Comply with all relevant International Standards
- Are innovative / novel with strong / high value IP for Dyson products
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management
- Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle.
- Develop 3D CAD, engineering drawings and tolerance stacks for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs.
- Deliver designs, concepts and detailed ideas for future motor parts and layouts for associated products that meet specification requirements and that are optimised for low cost, high volume manufacturing
- Understand and apply engineering analysis tools such as FEA and hand calculations to develop concepts and validate designs
- Work with other project team engineers to ensure product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met
- Own engineering plans and progress; report to technical management on risks, timescales and technical issues, having a forward thinking approach to solve up-and-coming obstacles without losing sight of requirements specification and associated risks
- Demonstrate and understand system level design to optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate transfer to other teams within Dyson.
Education and experience:
- A degree in a relevant engineering, science or product design discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
- A strong knowledge of manufacturing techniques of parts (moulding / machining) and common issues with these with a broad understanding of material properties and manufacturing processes related to common engineering materials
- An ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of mechanics and an awareness of the application of electronics
- Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver low cost, high volume, high performance and reliable designs Experience in automated assembly techniques
- A creative and agile mind, and a desire to develop your design and development skills in a fast pace environment
- An ability to demonstrate a thorough approach to reasoning and problem solving
- An ability to work in both a cross-functional team environment and independently
- Demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done
- Ability to orchestrate work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously
- Strong knowledge of tolerance stack analysis and the use of GD&T.
- An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
- Appreciation of relevant motor technology or high speed rotating machinery
- Assembly supplier selection.
- Essential behavioural skills:
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values that would result in great Dyson products
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Excellent team working skills.