Data Insight Analyst – Personal Care
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThe Data Insight Analyst – Personal Care role will involve extracting, transforming and analysing data from a variety of different sources in order to deliver and communicate actionable insights. These insights will be integral to guiding engineering and commercial strategy, sales volume projection, and operational capacity planning for current and future products across Haircare portfolio. The learning generated as a result of this role will combine with that from various functions globally to form a holistic view of current performance and future risks/opportunities. This complete view is essential to support the continuing rapid expansion of the category, encompassing areas including; product usage and reliability, user preferences, consumer spending habits, market characteristics, competitor activity, volume/value share trends, performance of brand building investments (BBI), and macroeconomic trends and likely impacts.
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines.
And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 3,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewDrawing together data from across the global R&D, Insights, Commercial and Finance departments as well as across the markets, you will be a key part of the Personal Care team. As an independent, inquisitive and adaptable analyst, you will find answers to diverse and challenging questions; either by identifying, manipulating and interrogating data sources currently available within Dyson, or by realising new data sources. The team are constantly looking for opportunities to inform decision making by uncovering valuable insights and presenting them in a way that is clear and engaging. Experience using Tableau and associated data warehouses is preferred, as these will be used extensively to generate intuitive and interactive dashboards and reports. This is a unique opportunity to establish an analysis infrastructure which will be pivotal to strategic decision making within Dyson’s newest and fastest growing category. Working closely with the Category’s senior leadership team, this is an exciting chance to join the dynamic and fast-paced world of Dyson Personal Care.
- Extract, Transform and Analyse data from different data sources (e.g. SQL databases, AWS, Google Analytics, consumer insights, trials and surveys) before presenting/ communicating it to key stakeholders.
- Look for “insights”, analysing and interpreting data, focusing on those that prompt actions and provide business meaning and volume drivers
- Use these insights to support R&D work, Commercial strategies and financial planning
- Identify opportunities to enrich existing data sets or reports with new data feeds
- Develop new reports/dashboards that add value across different business functions
- High degree of numeracy and confidence with the techniques of analysis in large data sets
- Experience analysing and presenting data in Data Visualisation Software packages (e.g. Tableau), and creating/maintaining associated data warehouse/structure
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate complex ideas and data simply
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Degree-level education in relevant area such as computing, mathematics/statistics, business analytics or engineering/sciences
- Experience working in engineering
- Experience of using Cloud databases and analytic packages
- Ability to use SQL to query large data sets
- Competent programming with a scripting language (e.g. Python)
- Familiarity with using APIs to extract data/ information from external data sources
- Flexibility to change priorities quickly and deliver simultaneously across projects of different priorities and pace
- Conscientious and methodical approach; attention to detail without losing bigger picture
- Self-motivated, dynamic and results-driven; thrives under pressure
- Inquisitive, proactive and innovative