Creative Director Center of Excellence - Americas
Starting salary will be determined based on experience and credentials.
San Francisco, CA, United States
We need a Creative Director to lead and manage a new Americas Centre of Excellence (CoE). The CoE will be based out of San Francisco and Chicago. This role will require travel to be truly effective.
Phase One is about building our regional capability to ensure that all creative assets are activated consistently. The realization of this vision is pivotal to supporting our global strategies to a) Control the Dyson Experience in both indirect and direct shopping/sales channels, and b) Grow our Direct sales channels.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Working closely with US,Canada and Latin America regional teams to identify content and creative opportunities, develop creative proposals and shape briefs to take to Global teams in UK for review
- Working closely with regional teams to manage Dyson reputation across a growing number of assets and channels that are used to activate go to market plans. Ensuring the ‘excellence in execution’ templates are fit for purpose and in play
- Brand guardianship. Ensuring the Dyson ethos and Visual Identity guidelines are upheld at all times, so that visual communications not only clearly communicate the right messages, but present the messages in a ‘Dyson’ way.
- Assessing viability of insights and trend data to help sharpen briefs for NPD and HIT Campaigns
- Working closely with markets to help optimise assets post launch. Look at what’s working, what’s not and creating solutions to help improve asset deployment post launch. This is especially needed for Social content.
- Working closely with markets and commercial managers in region to help shape the content requirements and work with in-house / agency teams to ensure it’s designed, developed and delivered in a uniquely Dyson way, protecting the owner experience and Dyson reputation
- Working with market teams on briefs that are specific to markets. Ensure that the work is shared with Global teams appropriately
- Establishing initiatives within region that help continuously improve the output over time by channel. (Establishing a Creative circle with the design hubs within market, identifying any specific regional requirements for the Brand Guidelines., overseeing a reputation audit across the region.)
- Helping to align agency / content 3rd parties with reputational guidelines, tone of voice documents and other guideline documentation in development by the Global teams.
- Providing creative consultation across the various market specific activities such as promotions, events, CRM, social content so that the teams have faster access to Global creative point of view within timezone and markets
- Contributing to NPD projects upstream, providing a POV on the Dyson reputation within market and how the perception shift can be creatively achieved as the CoE team develops. Building campaigns that take local insight to address and exploit needs states and cultural nuances specific to the Americas.
- Providing insight into the owner experience opportunities that exist and the creative solutions required to solve them
Dyson has three core creative and design teams based in Malmesbury, UK (each with a different role). Our intention is to set up three Centre of Excellence teams based in the US, APAC and EU, reporting into the Global Creative Director.
Currently we have Hub teams located within some of our key markets - the United States, Japan, United Kingdom, Australia, and France. They each have slightly different roles and scopes as Dyson’s brand maturity and marketing needs vary by market.
We are going through an exciting period within the Americas Region (USA, Canada, LATAM). Growing teams, new energy, creating a new outlook that is transforming the perception of our reputation in the Americas from a vaccum cleaner business into a technology enterprise. How we express the value and relevance of Dyson and our machines to the general public throughout this region, is key to our future success.
Dyson is growing. Fast. More products. New categories. More visual communications. We are a creative technology company with a global and iconic identity. Our mission is simple: We solve problems others ignore with exciting new technologies which defy convention.
Communicating our products’ superiority with brevity and presenting ourselves in the right way is essential to selling, protecting identity, and building our hard earned reputation.
And every contact with our owners contributes to the Dyson Experience, so each must reflect our values and philosophy. Perfectly.
- Being the Creative guardian of the Dyson Experience and Excellence in Execution. Approving work developed within market teams
- Providing consistently on-brand creative solutions that support the commercial and market needs efficiently
- Responsible for driving and delivering Dyson’s brand philosophy through the region’s Creative & Design output
- Be the in-market voice of the Global Dyson creative & design teams
- Accountable for leadership and development of the CoE team of creatives and writers, behind one philosophy that fuels the experiences that contribute to building the Dyson Reputation. Do this in close collaboration with the Global teams.
- Accountable for managing creative talent within the CoE. Do this in close collaboration with the Planning & Operations Director and HR Business Partners in region as well as Global Creative Director
- Accountable for quality checks and review of work being presented upwards - to the Global Creative Director, Chief Commercial Officer and James Dyson. Work needs to be thoroughly explored, considered and well set-up for a positive outcome.
- Accountable for analyzing insights which lead to world-class creative strategies that delivers brilliant creative work, with a Dyson own able creative idea and treatment.
- You will be proven Creative Director from a media neutral background – able to work and think across all media touch points in the shopper journey, taking a holistic view of what constitutes a strong brand experience
- Experience and success in working in north and south America in similar roles where you’ve been responsible for brand guardianship and creative delivery for premium and ideally ‘challenger’ Western companies/brands.
- A self-starting strategic thinker with an aggressive / competitive attitude.
- An intimate knowledge and understanding of the Dyson Reputation – and how to ‘bake it in’.
- A fascination with science and product engineering, a strong eye for art and design - love of ‘products’ and an ability to capture and evangelize over every improvement, feature and benefit.
- Excellent interrogations analytical skills – able to uncover insights, inspiration and possible message and visual direction routes from numerical/written data, field observation and desk research.
- Comfortable with ‘failure’ in the context of multiple iterations of testing and learning.
- Instinctively simplifies visual communications to distilled elegance, and knows when to use graphic wit (and when not).
- An expert eye for composition and layout – able to balance words, pictures and negative space – world class graphic design skills.
- Strong typographical skills with an inherent understanding of using type faces, weights, leading, line breaks, punctuation to create communication hierarchy and emphasis.
- Expert in briefing writers, art directors, photographers, and film makers to deliver the right content, pace, tone, meaning.
- Comfortable working quickly in a fast paced, ambiguous environment.
- Highly motivated and collaborative - taking ownership of projects but at the same time being objective and responsive to feedback in what can be a devil’s advocate, challenge led environment.
- Commercially focused (instinctively understanding business context), able to span strategy (help define the brief and the plan), creative (the ideas), design (the devil and detail of the graphic design execution and finished assets), and have the highest standards in all areas of execution. Culminating in knowing when to make the right decisions in the interest of balancing time, quality and cost.
- Possess a good understanding of variety of production processes – how they influence creative, how and when to engage producers, typical time constraints, typical quality constraints, typical cost constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, allowing them to work with a broad variety of specialist creative, engineering and marketing people in a spirit of collaboration and teamwork.
- It goes without saying that you should be enthusiastic and take pride in your work. We set the global benchmark for graphic design at Dyson, so everything we do has to be perfect. You will be working directly with senior stakeholders throughout Dyson. So you’ll need to be comfortable voicing your opinions and be able to articulate your ideas confidently and intelligently. As a brand Global Creative & Design Function guardian you’ll need to feel comfortable in offering coaching and training to others (both internal and external) to ensure that our Experience is landed consistently and our Reputation is earned.