Associate Principal Software Engineer
£Competitve + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Malmesbury, UK, United Kingdom
DescriptionWe are looking for an associate principal engineer to join our team as we expand our connected portfolio. Reporting to the Communications SW Engineering Manager, you will steer our short and longer term software communication strategies, to align to Dyson’s product roadmap. Your knowledge of wireless protocols will allow you to provide best in class product solutions as Dyson expands into its role as a major technology company. You will be responsible for defining the high level software product architecture to ensure that the implementation fits with our vision.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with over 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. In 2017 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewIn the future, the way technology is controlled will be integral to how it performs. Dyson software engineers are already transforming the way our owners interact with their machines. Our first connected robot vacuum launched in 2014 and its companion app takes cleaning into the digital era. Scheduling cleans. Reviewing mapping data. Diagnosing technical issues. Our new technology is advancing at speed. Network-based robotics and intelligent sensing technologies, all enabled by advanced software and app platforms. And all cementing Dyson’s place as a pioneering global technology organisation.
• Own and drive the product communications software road map and strategy in alignment with other Dyson business units, including research.
• Keep up to date with the latest communications technology and distil the most relevant information into our roadmap.
• Own and drive the software architecture for the comms team and ensure that it provides the functionality required.
• Provide technical leadership to the comms software development team.
• Attend conferences and seminars to share Dyson’s view with the wider community.
• Be aware of all other elements within the software development life cycle, including manufacturing processes, and ensure that our communications solutions are capable of supporting these aspects.
• Extensive experience specifying and developing high level real time software architectures
• Experience in numerous programming languages including: C, C++ and Python
• Commercial Experience in several of the following: WiFi (802.11), Bluetooth V4.x, ZigBee, 802.15.4, 3GPP, MQTT
• Knowledge and use of UML
• Familiar with working in an Agile environment
• Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and able to communicate complex scenarios to a wide audience
• Demonstrable experience in technical leadership
• Experience in Java and Objective C
• Experience of Atlassian Development and Collaboration tools (JIRA, Confluence, Stash etc.)
• Experience of using Enterprise Architect