Associate Principal Robotics Research Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThis is an opportunity to drive Dyson's ambitious robotics research programme forward by planning, designing, and developing next generation robotics perception systems to solve problems in real world robotics. The role involves the research and development of systems for Dyson’s future autonomous and intelligent products. You will be working in a multi disciplinary environment within a team of experts that is constantly aiming to improve itself and the world of robotics.
Not many global technology companies can say they’re still led by the founder. But we can. The same man who invented the first bagless vacuum, who persevered for 15 years to sell his idea, then took on Hoover when they stole it. And the same man who, as our Chief Engineer, has personally overseen every Dyson invention since.
James Dyson still defines the spirit of Dyson today. His entrepreneurial edge and tenacity guide our fighting spirit. Still family owned, we’re fiercely independent. Who we are and what we invent is down to us, and us alone. And we remain committed to keeping it this way.
Market OverviewAdvanced robotics will change the world of engineering for good. At Dyson, we’ve been developing robot technology for over 15 years – 200 engineers, 420 patents and £28m has already gone into our first robot vacuum. But our Dyson 360 Eye™ robot is just the start. The team is advancing the systems that make our robots more intelligent – able to understand environments and navigate with complex sensors and algorithms. There’s more to discover. The future is robotic. All Dyson products will be part of the internet of things. And our Robotics team is helping us to unveil this next generation.
Function OverviewJoin a growing team working to put useful robotic systems into the homes of the general public. We are looking for people to help us investigate robust solutions to diverse real-world problems in machine perception, actuation, or intelligence. The role involves the research and development of systems for Dyson’s future autonomous and intelligent products. Successful candidates will be working in a supportive environment within a team of experts that is constantly aiming to improve itself and the world of robotics.
- Design and implementation novel solutions to real world problems in robotics perception.
- Design prototype software & implement in C++, Python or Matlab.
- Maintain awareness of all internal robotics technology research activities and contribute where appropriate.
- Provide technical input to Dyson's research strategy for robotics products.
- Assist in planning the research team's work and technology roadmap.
- Assist and mentor junior engineers with their technical work.
- Liaise and influence external institutions involved in Dyson's research strategy, such as the Dyson Robot Lab at Imperial College
- Maintain awareness of developments within autonomous system & perception technologies and ensure awareness of potential developments are known within the wider company
- PhD (or equivalent industrial research experience) applied to practical problems in robotics perception or computer vision.
- Understanding of systems design and integration.
- Proven ability to integrate low and high level software with corresponding physical systems.
- Ability to design new algorithms for areas such as sensor fusion, SLAM, perception or control.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Experience with at least one of the following C++, Python, Matlab
- Experience developing software in a Linux environment
- Experience using open-source libraries (such as OpenCV, PCL)