Senior Electronics System Engineer
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
An experienced systems engineer with experience of electronics or software systems is required to work on a brand new project here at Dyson.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewWhen you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems, that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
- Apply mature System Engineering knowledge to a large and complex project in the design and process development.
- Define and Design the System for a particular area. This means defining for any particular Domain the top level system architecture, the HW-SW partitioning, the communication protocol/messages and signals, system states, power states
- Requirement Development and Maintenance from Stakeholders Level to Subsystem Level and manage the traceability
- Promote Model Based System Engineering (MBSE) for the project
- Support Design and Solution Reviews to ensure Design proposals take into account existing Constraints
- FMEA Development and Reviews
- Coordination with all other disciplines (research, product design, mechanical design, UX/UI)
- Modelling and analysis of the product and sub systems using SysML modelling tools
- Writing system test procedures to verify product level requirements
- Define the Test strategy and work with the test team in order to support the Verification and Validation activities. System Engineer should write the system requirements and need to define how to test the system (with the test team) in order to prove that the requirements are satisfied. Should also help maintaining the V&V compliance metrics.
- Support or carry out the technical evaluation of suppliers and contactors and writing RFQ.
- Understand the safety implications aspects for the particular area and support Functional Safety analysis.
- Contribute in System processes as required as well as help in the introduction and adoption of system tools
- Support Trade Studies and Identification and Assessment of the Risks
- Support Decomposition of the system requirements into hardware and software requirements
- Contribute in develop a Documentation Platform to Maintain, Update and distribute the relevant technical documentation
- Provide Guidance and Support to other System Engineers
- Support technical gate reviews with continues and effective interaction with TPM, HW, SW, test and other domains
- System Boundaries and Interface Management
- Maintaining Design Integrity and Support Integration
- Support System Reliability Assessments
- Support other design teams as Technical Interface 5
- System Architecture Design from Fundamental Concepts Development through Product Life Cycle
- Able to work in a dynamic and fast pacing environments with a Can Do attitude (no challenge is too difficult)
- Hands on
- Start-up mentality, dynamic, independent
- Degree level qualification in an Electronic/Software Engineering Discipline.
- Ideally 9+ years of relevant work experience
- Good communication and motivation skills.
- Strong background and competence in System Engineering in complex development programmes
- Significant experience with SysML modelling tools.
- Significant and demonstrable experience in Model Based System Engineering
- Significant experience on Requirements development/management
- FMEA experience
- Functional Safety Analysis experience